Standard Bank Group, Africa’s largest lender by assets, has scooped five regional deal accolades in The Banker Deals of the Year Awards 2015.
These awards recognise excellence for deals completed across Africa, taking into account the various categories for deal submissions.
“We are delighted to have been the recipient of these awards” says Bill Blackie, Deputy Head, Investment Banking and Head of Client Coverage (South Africa) Standard Bank. “Winning in these various regional categories demonstrates our capability and experience in supporting clients in key sectors that are vital for the continued growth and development of the continent.”
Standard Bank Group was recognised by the awards for deals in the following categories:
• Islamic Finance: Standard Bank mandated by National Treasury to arrange their $500m inaugural Sovereign Sukuk into the Eurobond market as a means of diversifying funding sources.
• Mergers and Acquisitions: Standard Bank Group acted as joint financial and debt advisor, lead debt provider, transaction sponsor, joint book runner and underwriter to Woolworths Holdings Limited, on the A$2.1bn acquisition of the iconic Australian retailer, David Jones.
• High Yield Leverage Finance: Standard Bank Group was involved in arranging Metair's R1.4bn in Preferential shares and R750m Senior revolving credit facility.
• Infrastructure and Project Finance: Standard Bank Group acted as co-arranger for funding $623m for Lake Turkana wind farm, potentially Africa's largest single wind power project to be constructed.
• Securitisation and Structured Finance: Standard Bank Group enabled an $800m multi-draw syndicated loan facility for INT Towers. These loans comprise a $560m term loan facility 'A' and a $240m-equivalent term loan facility 'B' in Nigerian Naira.
The judges used a wide range of criteria in selecting the winning deals, with a strong emphasis on the degree to which client objectives were met as well as the deal complexity, innovation, speed of execution and pricing performance.
“These awards underscore Standard Bank Group’s innovative approach within the respective sectors and products, with real value derived for our clients and investors. Our deals demonstrate how we are partnering our clients to bringing about a transformational change in the markets in which we operate,” said Mr Blackie.Back to all news
Subscribe to our quarterly newsletter
giving you our latest insights